Miami Hack Week is by invite only. Participants must apply through miamihackweek.com to receive an invitation; and agree to these terms to participate.
The Hackathon (“Hackathon”) is a software programming competition. Entrants may create original solutions, prototypes, datasets, scripts, or other content, materials, discoveries or inventions (a “Submission”). The Submissions’ entrants develop will be evaluated by judges, who will award rewards to entrants who submit qualifying Submissions as determined in the sole discretion of the Judges.
1) BINDING AGREEMENT: In order to enter the Hackathon, you must agree to these Official Rules (“Rules”). Therefore, please read these Rules prior to participation to ensure you understand and agree. You agree that creation or use of a Submission in the Hackathon constitutes agreement to these Rules. You may not submit a Submission to the Hackathon and are not eligible to receive the rewards described in these Rules unless you agree to these Rules. These Rules form a binding legal agreement between you and the Hackathon Organizer with respect to the Hackathon.
Entrants are entirely responsible for all costs and fees associated with entrant’s participation in the Hackathon, including (but not limited to) admission fees, transportation, accommodation and living costs. All entries must be received before the end of the Hackathon Period. Entries are void if they are in whole or part illegible, incomplete, damaged, altered, counterfeit, obtained through fraud, or late. All entries will be deemed made by the authorized account holder of the email address submitted at the time of submission, and potential reward recipients may be required to show proof of being the authorized account holder for that email address. The “authorized account holder” is the natural person assigned to an email address by an Internet service provider, online service provider, or other organization responsible for assigning email address for the domain.
2) JUDGING: Each Submission submission will be judged by a panel of experts who are employees of the Hackathon Organizer (“Judges”). Judges will evaluate each Submission based upon the above criteria to determine whether it qualifies for a reward.
3) GENERAL CONDITIONS: All federal, state, provincial and local laws and regulations apply. The Hackathon Organizer reserves the right to disqualify any entrant from the Hackathon if, in the Hackathon Organizer’s sole discretion, it reasonably believes that the entrant has attempted to undermine the legitimate operation of the Hackathon by cheating, deception, or other unfair playing practices or annoys, abuses, threatens or harasses any other entrants, the Hackathon Organizer, or the Judges.
4) INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS: As between the Hackathon Organizer and the entrant, the entrant retains ownership of all intellectual and industrial property rights (including moral rights) in and to the Submission. By submitting a Submission to the Hackathon, the entrant warrants and represents that he or she owns all of the intellectual and industrial property rights in and to the Submission. As a condition of submission, entrant grants the Hackathon Organizer, its subsidiaries, agents and partner companies, a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to use, reproduce, adapt, modify, publish, distribute, publicly perform, create a derivative work from, and publicly display the Submission (1) for the purposes of allowing the Hackathon Organizer and the Judges to evaluate the Submission for purposes of the Hackathon, (2) for the purposes of evaluating the Submission and improving the Hackathon Organizer and third party products, services, systems and networks and (3) in connection with advertising and promotion via communication to the public or other groups, including, but not limited to, the right to make screenshots, animations and Submission clips available for promotional purposes.
5) PUBLICITY: By accepting a reward, entrant agrees to Sponsor and its agencies use of his or her name and/or likeness and Submission for advertising and promotional purposes without additional compensation, unless prohibited by law.
6) WARRANTY: Entrants warrant that their Submissions are their own original work and, as such, they are either the sole and exclusive owner and rights holder of the submitted Submission, or that they have obtained all necessary permissions to incorporate work that is not their own into their Submission, and that they have the right to submit the Submission in the Hackathon and grant all required licenses. Each entrant agrees not to submit any Submission that (1) infringes any third party proprietary rights, intellectual property rights, industrial property rights, personal or moral rights or any other rights, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, privacy, publicity or confidentiality obligations; or (2) otherwise violates the applicable state, federal, provincial or local law.
7) ELIMINATION: Any false information provided within the context of the Hackathon by any entrant concerning identity, mailing address, telephone number, email address, ownership of right or non-compliance with these Rules or the like may result in the immediate elimination of the entrant from the Hackathon.
8) INTERNET: Sponsor is not responsible for any malfunction of the entire Hackathon site or any late, lost, damaged, misdirected, incomplete, illegible, undeliverable, or destroyed Submissions or entry materials due to system errors, failed, incomplete or garbled computer or other telecommunication transmission malfunctions, hardware or software failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, typographical or system/human errors and failures, technical malfunction(s) of any telephone network or lines, cable connections, satellite transmissions, servers or providers, or computer equipment, traffic congestion on the Internet or at the Hackathon site, or any combination thereof, including other telecommunication, cable, digital or satellite malfunctions which may limit a participant’s ability to participate.
16) RIGHT TO CANCEL, MODIFY OR DISQUALIFY: If for any reason the Hackathon is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of the Hackathon, the Hackathon Organizer reserves the right at its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Hackathon. The Hackathon Organizer further reserves the right to disqualify any entrant who tampers with the submission process or any other part of the Hackathon or Hackathon site. Any attempt by an entrant to deliberately damage any web site, including the Hackathon site, or undermine the legitimate operation of the Hackathon is a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, the Hackathon Organizer reserves the right to seek damages from any such entrant to the fullest extent of the applicable law.
17) NOT AN OFFER OR CONTRACT OF EMPLOYMENT: Under no circumstances shall the submission of a Submission into the Hackathon, the awarding of a reward, or anything in these Rules be construed as an offer or contract of employment with either the Hackathon Organizer, or any other Hackathon entities. You acknowledge that you have submitted your Submission voluntarily and not in confidence or in trust. You acknowledge that no confidential, fiduciary, agency or other relationship or implied-in-fact contract now exists between you and the Hackathon Organizer or any other Hackathon entities and that no such relationship is established by your submission of an Submission under these Rules.
SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS: The Submission must meet the following criteria: • Be an unreported and original Submission, which has not been shared or partially shared with anyone else or submitted in any other contests. • Be authored or created by You. • Be submitted with corresponding documentation that details [such criteria as appropriate].During the Hackathon Period, the Hackathon Organizer, its agents, and/or the Judges (defined below) will be evaluating each Submission to ensure that it meets the Submission Requirements. The Hackathon Organizer reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any entrant who submits an Submission that does not meet the Submission Requirements.
The novel coronavirus, COVID-19, has been declared a worldwide pandemic by the World Health Organization. COVID-19 is extremely contagious and social distancing is therefore recommended. Guided by directives from federal, state, and local authorities, Miami Hack Week and our partners have put in place reasonable prevention measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19 at Miami Hack Week, due to the contagious nature of COVID-19, Miami Hack Week cannot guarantee that event attendees will not become infected with COVID-19. Attendance at a Miami Hack Week event may increase the risk of directly or indirectly contracting COVID-19.
Testing Protocols -
- Must provide proof of vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test 42 hours before the event to enter.
- Masks will be required for all gatherings at Miami Hack Week larger than 100 attendees.